Police News: Stop sign left protruding from car after smash

Police say a suspected drunk driver took a stop sign with him after hitting power pole in Hunters Hill last Saturday.

Police said in a statement the accident, at the corner of Mark Street and Ryde Road, occurred around 12.45am when the driver’s car hit a power pole.

Police say they found a 19-year-old man from Hunters Hill sitting in the driver’s seat of his vehicle, the front of which had sustained extensive damage.

“Police officers observed a red stop sign protruding from the front of the vehicle,” it said.

“Police approached the driver’s window of the vehicle and could detect a strong smell of intoxicating liquor emanating from the vehicle.”

The man was on a learner driver’s licence and was not displaying ‘L plates’.

He was breath tested and returned a reading of 0.152 and was later charged with High Range PCA, driving unaccompanied as an ‘L’ driver, negligent driving and not displaying ‘L’ plates.

The man is due to appear in Burwood Local Court on March 12.


Ryde Local Area Command police siezed a small amount of pharmaceutical and illicit drugs after searching an allegedly-abusive man in Cherrybrook last Tuesday night.

The early 20s man was found to be in possession of a large resealable bag containing what was believed to be cannabis, two sachets with a white powdery substance and a white tablet stamped ‘CN2’, believed to be illicit drugs; ten 50mg capsules in a package displaying the name ‘Tremadol’, two pairs of scissors and a Stanley knife.

Further investigation will continue in relation to the white powder, tablet and other medication and the man is expected to be charged at a later date in relation to possessing prohibited drugs, resisting arrest and custody of a knife in a public place.

Police allege the man had resisted arrest and a struggle ensued before he was arrested and handcuffed.


THREE suspected burglars were arrested in West Ryde last Saturday (27/1).

Police report the arrests were made around 2pm after a 46-year-old man allegedly attempted to force entry into premises on Victoria Road, West Ryde.

A 39-year-old man then illegally forced entry into the rear of the premises before police were alerted to the incident and the dog squad unit arrived a short time later and found the three suspects walking near the premises.

They were arrested and taken to Ryde Police Station where they were charged with aggravated break and enter and are due to appear in Burwood Local Court
in February.